Parenting Resouces Barrington Academy
10 Ways To Be A Great Parent
- Be a good role model. Your child learns from the example you set.
- Show respect for your child’s feelings, thoughts and suggestions.
- Make your child feel loved by praising, giving hugs and kisses.
- Keep your promise. If you must break it, apologize and suggest ways to make it up to your child.
- Encourage your child’s creativity. Ask questions to stimulate curiosity and imagination.
- Build your child’s self –esteem by showing appreciation for all genuine efforts.
- Stay involved. Know what’s going on in your child’s life at school and with friends.
- Discipline your child fairly, firmly and with love. Focus on behavior, not on the child.
- Establish family traditions and make time to do fun things together.
- Think positively. By expecting the best, you empower yourself and your child to solve problems and achieve goals.